Friday, October 28, 2011

Looking Inward

So character lesson for mom? not Sharon?  Could it be?  Maybe the events of the last two days were meant for me to develop some qualities that are seriously lacking?  Being a role model is definitely the most direct and influential part of our children's life and I think that is reflecting itself clearly to me this year.   My 12 year old daughter is teaching me huge on humility, obedience and peace.  As she is growing into a young adult she is exhibiting personality qualities that we started teaching her when she was 7.  As I am awoken this morning by my infant hacking gunk up from his chest at about 5 am, after being up every 2 hours, or so, from him teething and wanting to nurse, I decide that he coughs much less if I am standing.  Good morning world.  His coughing does not subside so we shower in hopes the steam clears him up a little.  He seems to be coughing less and ready to get out.  So I let him run around the room while I am lotioning and dressing etc.  He decides to play under the sink.  No I'm not supposed to let the baby play under the sink but there's nothing under there, except maybe that Listerine bottle he just knocked over.  No biggie it's closed....or is it?  I turn my back only to hear glug glub glug glub and the Listerine is pouring out onto the carpet. As I am stomping it up with a towel (my bath towel) Tobias decides to empty my drawer and spread my Q-tips and flossers out.  OK just relax I"ll get those in a minute.  Than I hear the sound of air excaping his little behind, but it's not just air.  Poop is now pooring out of his behind onto the carpet so I grab another towel and try and catch his "stuff" from hitting the carpet anymore.  He gets upset as I am wiping his leg and I have to carry him in a "eww please don't touch me or fling anything on me" hold.  As I lay him on yet another towel to change him, I open the wipes box and the wipes are all dried out.  I command him to stay still (ever tried to command a 9.5mth old) as I reach for more wipes.  Luckily he held and I cleaned and OH Goodness, where are the diapers.  Oh there they are under that pile of laundry that we barely missed with the Listerine.  Diaper on.  Now I have to restomp the Listerine as Tobias fusses because he doesn't feel good. 
What is important in life?  Patience, Peace, Self Control.  With the events of my supermarket experience, and this morning and other small things (another family funeral), that po(o)pped into my schedule and before 6 am this morning I think I need to remember what I prayed for recently.  I don't think the Universe is against me or the stars are out of aline or evolution is trying to make me decide survival or not.  I choose God who is probably working on me so my kids future can be Joyful and Hopeful. He's definitely answering someones prayer and I better be paying attention or the Universe will definitely make my life difficult if I let it control me. 
As best as I can remember from the movie "Pretty Woman",(yes, it's been that long since I've been able to stay awake or get through an entire move), "I choose Who, I choose when, I choose.....Well you get the picture.  Blessings for all those moms out there that think today is going to last forever.  You will look back someday and realize it really wasn't that much time and wish it would of lasted a little more.  So enjoy today, even the Listerine spills, poopy carpets and the insensitive supermarket experiences.  Laugh Love Live  Three areas in my life that definitely need focus.

1 comment:

  1. Mmm..
    What a fantastic blog. I cracked up. It is only funny later huh?

    ReplyDelete