Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Hug Me

Today was going to be our first cooking show but park play and grocery shopping prevailed.
We did manage to read out loud as well as sound out 8 new words and do a character project.  This is easy and you can work with your child for 30 minutes and finish two great learning activities.  The reading consisted of words like: am, sat, ram, at, rat, mat, see, me, rat.  After trying to push Sharon to read at age 4 I backed off because of her resistance.  After introducing it every now and than and never getting an enthusiastic response I let her tell me when she was ready.  She started asking what words said and was able to tell me sounds of letters with new interest.  So we're off and reading.  I'm hoping to unpack my "Bob Books" which are great beginner readers for the first 3 levels of learning to read.
Today's character lesson:  Make 4 hearts with a thick outline.  Write one of the following words on each one:  Give Your Parents Hugs.  Let your child color the hearts and cut them out.  Punch a hole in the tip of each one and fasten with a broad fastener (or in our house a twisty tie).  They now have a fan of their new mission of character.  Sharon loved this mission and I received many hugs today.

No comments:

Post a Comment